The chase for the World Marathon Majors million dollar prize purse continued for the 2013- 2014 Series at the 118th running of the B.A.A. Boston Marathon, Patriots Day, Monday April 21. Elite athletes led a field of 36,000 runners, all taking part in the spirit of competition, and remembrance for those most affected by the tragic events of last April.
A clear, bright day with a temperature for the elite women's race at 57.8 F saw Shalane Flanagan holding the lead in a pack of nine women , running a strong, fast pace going through 10k at 32.30 leading strongly to Newton Hills at 17 miles. Rita Jeptoo then took control alongside Mare Dibaba. Jeptoo then broke away, on a potential course record pace. Jeptoo continued to push at the front with a 32.40 for her last 10k and went on to break the course record in 2:18:57. Also breaking the course record and knocking four minutes off her own personal best in second place Buzunesh Deba in 2:19:59, and in third Mare Dibaba in 2:20:35. Shalane Flanagan broke her personal best by three minutes to finish 7th in 2:22:02.
The Men's race took off with a lead pack of 22 runners, temperature at 60.8 F with Meb Keflezighi taking control, and Ryan Hall, and Markos Geneti following. Meb continued to hold the lead, and looked vulnerable to being caught from behind. But the other principal runners left it too late to close the large gap Meb had created, and he went on to take an overwhelmingly popular victory in 2:08:37, a personal best, and most poignantly the first American men's winner in Boston since Greg Meyer in 1983, thus a fitting finale to a momentous week in Boston.
The WMM 2013 – 2014 series competition resumes in the fall, with the BMW BERLIN-MARATHON, September 28, Bank of America Chicago Marathon, October 12, and TCS New York City Marathon, November 1st.
Athletes earn points by placing among the top five in Qualifying Races during the two-year period. Points are allocated following each race as follows; 1st place = 25 points, 2nd place 15 points, 3rd place = 10 points, 4th place = 5 points, 5th place = 1 point.
2013-2014 WMM Series Current Leader-boards
1. Rita Jeptoo (KEN) 75 pts.
2. Edna Kiplagat (KEN) 65 pts.
3. Priscah Jeptoo (KEN) 50 pts.
4. Florence Kiplagat (KEN) 40 pts.
5. Buzunesh Deba (ETH) 30 pts.
6. Aberu Kebede (ETH) 26 pts.
7. Tirfi Tsegaye (ETH) 26 pts.
8. Sharon Cherop (KEN) 25 pts.
9. Irina Mikitenko (DEU) 20 pts.
9. Jemima Jelagat Sumgong (KEN) 20 pts.
11. Valeria Straneo (ITA) 16 pts.
12. Birhane Dibaba (ETH) 15 pts.
12. Yeshi Esaylias (ETH) 15 pts.
12. Meseret Hailu (ETH) 15 pts.
1. Tsegaye Kebede (ETH) 55 pts.
2. Wilson Kipsang (KEN) 51 pts.
3. Dennis Kimetto (KEN) 50 pts.
4. Lelisa Desisa (ETH) 40 pts.
5. Emmanuel Mutai (KEN) 30 pts.
6. Dickson Chumba (KEN) 25 pts.
6. Stephen Kiprotich (UGA) 25 pts.
6. Geoffrey Mutai (KEN) 25 pts.
6. Tadese Tola (ETH) 25 pts.
6. Meb Keflezighi (USA) 25 pts.
11. Sammy Kitwara (KEN) 20 pts.
11. Michael Kipyego (KEN) 20 pts.
11. Micah Kogo (KEN) 20 pts.