Registration for the 2016 Boston Marathon is now open
BOSTON - Registration for the 2016 Boston Marathon opens on Monday, September 14 at 10:00 a.m. ET. The B.A.A. will use the same process to register qualified runners as it used in the 2013, 2014, and 2015 Boston Marathons, allowing the fastest qualifiers to register first.
Registration will be held entirely online at www.baa.org. The qualification window for the 2016 Boston Marathon began last year on September 13, 2014.
In cooperation with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the eight cities and towns along the Boston Marathon route, the B.A.A. has set the field size for the 2016 Boston Marathon at 30,000 official entrants. The 120th Boston Marathon will be held on Monday, April 18, 2016 and will mark the 31st consecutive year that the event will have John Hancock Financial as its principal sponsor.
2016 BOSTON MARATHON REGISTRATION DATES
- Monday, September 14: Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 20 minutes, 00 seconds or faster may submit their application for entry.
- Wednesday, September 16: Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 10 minutes, 00 seconds or faster may submit their application for entry (if space remains).
- Friday, September 18: Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 5 minutes, 00 seconds or faster may submit their application for entry (if space remains).
- Saturday, September 19: Registration closes for the first week at 10:00 p.m. ET.
- Monday, September 23: All qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard may submit their application for entry (if space remains).
- Wednesday, September 25: Registration closes for the second week at 5:00 p.m. ET.
If space remains after this initial period, then on Monday, September 28 registration will reopen to anyone who meets the qualifying standards on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration will remain open until the maximum field size is reached.
The B.A.A. will not predict or provide an anticipated date for when the race will reach its maximum field of qualified applicants. However, the B.A.A.'s website, Facebook page and Twitter account will indicate the open or closed status of registration for the 2016 Boston Marathon, and these pages will be updated regularly.
The registration fee for the 2016 Boston Marathon for qualifiers is $180 USD for United States residents and $240 USD for international residents.
ABOUT THE BOSTON ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION (B.A.A.)
Established in 1887, the Boston Athletic Association is a non-profit organization with a mission of promoting a healthy lifestyle through sports, especially running. The B.A.A.’s Boston Marathon is the world's oldest annual marathon, and the organization manages other local events and supports comprehensive charity, youth, and year-round running programs, including high performance athletes and running club. Since 1986, the principal sponsor of the Boston Marathon has been John Hancock Financial. The Boston Marathon is part of the Abbott World Marathon Majors, along with international marathons in Tokyo, London, Berlin, Chicago, and New York City. More than 60,000 runners will participate in B.A.A. events in 2015. The 120th Boston Marathon will be held on Monday, April 18, 2016. For more information on the B.A.A., please visit www.baa.org.
MEDIA: For further information, please contact email@example.com.