Boston Marathon organisers yesterday revealed that Monday, September 9, 2019 wil be the opening date for registration for the 2020 race.
Organisers stated yesterday: “Qualifiers for the 2020 Boston Marathon will meet challenging standards that are five minutes faster, per gender and age group, than the qualifying standards from 2013 through 2019."
The qualifying window for the 124th edition of the race, taking place on April 20, 2020, began on Saturday, September 15, 2018.
“Achieving a Boston Marathon qualifying time and earning a spot on the starting line in Hopkinton is something athletes from across the world strive for each year,” said Tom Grilk, B.A.A. Chief Executive Officer.
“The determination displayed by Boston Marathon participants is unrivaled, which helps distinguish the Boston Marathon as the world’s most meaningful road race. We are grateful to the running community for their unwavering support and commitment to the Boston Marathon.”
It’s important to remember that achieving the qualifying standard does not guarantee acceptance into the Boston Marathon due to field size limitations. Those who are fastest among the pool of applicants in their age and gender group will be accepted.
Here’s what you need to know
Registration will occur on a “rolling admission” schedule, beginning with the fastest qualifiers.
• On Monday, September 9 at 10:00 a.m. ET, eligible runners who have met the qualifying standard for their age and gender by 20 minutes or more may register.
• On Wednesday, September 11 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standard by 10 minutes or more.
• On Friday, September 13 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standard by five minutes or more.
• Registration will close for week one on Saturday, September 14 at 5:00 p.m. ET.
If space remains after the first week of registration (September 9-14):
• Registration will re-open for all qualifiers from Monday, September 16 at 10:00 a.m. ET through Wednesday, September 18 at 5:00 p.m. ET.
• As during the first week of registration, the fastest qualifiers by gender and age group will be granted entry as space allows.
If space remains after the first two weeks of registration:
• On Monday, September 23 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration will re-open to anyone who meets the qualifying standards.
• Registration will remain open for valid qualifiers on a first-come, first-served basis until the maximum field size is reached, or until Sunday, October 27 at 5:00 p.m. ET (whichever comes first).
2020 BOSTON MARATHON OPEN DIVISION QUALIFYING STANDARDS
(Effective Saturday, September 15, 2018). All standards below are based on official submitted net time.